We remain conscious of our direct impact on our environment and have introduced a number of environmental initiatives that have become part of our day to day way of working.
Our 'EnvironmentMatters' programme, which includes initiatives such as the introduction of a 'binless office', Smartprinting, energy efficient bulbs throughout our building, to mention but a few, all contribute to the success of our environmental programme.
We are very proud of the following facts knowing that all the time we are reducing our carbon footprint:
- We recycled 76% of our waste last year and reduced the waste sent to landfill by 30%.
- By introducing printers that only print at a swipe of an ID card, and can print double-sided, we have reduced our paper usage by 1.54 tonnes per year, or the equivalent of 4 average trees!
- The introduction of durable travel mugs for everyone has reduced disposable cup usage of approximately 500,000 per year.
- The heat generated by our computer rooms is recovered and used to heat the water for our Fitness Centre.
- All our suppliers are required to source the most environmentally friendly products for our offices. For example, our furniture is made from 40% recycled materials.
- We maximise the use of 'green' environmentally friendly housekeeping, cleaning and maintenance products.
- Our gas and electricity usage is reducing year on year.
We never stand still in this area and new initiatives include the installation of water saving devices which will aim to reduce our water consumption by 40%, and we are currently investigating new gas saving technology for our Spencer Dock heating system which, if successful, will deliver between 8%-15% saving on gas usage.
In a competitive market, people are integral to an organisation’s business success. Building a positive workplace culture is integral to PwC’s high performance, innovation and agility in the marketplace. Our strategy is for PwC to be a great place to work for all our people where they can achieve their ambitions in a supportive challenging environment. We carry out a range of initiatives designed to create a better environment for our people, including our training and development and people centred policies. In addition to career counselling, coaching and mentoring, we have an established Firm Code of Conduct and confidential grievance and ethical guidance procedures.
Our Health Matters programme is aimed at introducing a number of different healthy options to our people. We provide a choice of therapies, including Reflexology, Reiki, Indian Head Massage and Chinese Seated massages to help combat stress and leave people feeling refreshed in the workplace.
The Spencer Dock Fitness Centre includes state of the art equipment, changing areas, lockers and showers. The centre also has a studio where a range of fitness classes are held including circuit training; body sculpt classes, pilates and yoga.
PwC is a key member of the Corporate Leaders Group on Climate Change. Within the marketplace, PwC deliver services that create positive market impacts and ensure clients balance their social and environmental goals. With over 500 consultants in the PwC network globally working on Sustainability and Climate Change, we have taken a leadership position and intend to continue focusing on one of the biggest issues facing our planet. For more information on Sustainability, and to see the type of work we are involved in here in Ireland. There’s no doubt that PwC people take a broader view on the issues that concern us all.